Packaging inserts are ingenious additions to the world of e-commerce, serving as hidden gems within each shipped package.
These inserts are carefully selected items or informational materials that retailers include in their shipments to customers. They have two important purposes: increasing sales potential and building strong customer relationships.
Packaging inserts, often unexpected and free of charge for customers, offer an excellent opportunity for brands to subtly promote their campaigns and promotions. At the same time, they give something extra, making the whole shopping experience better.
10 Best Packaging Insert Ideas to Consider
I’m sharing some ideas that I mostly use in packaging to grab customers’ attention and boost my product sales.
1. Offer Amazing Discount Offers
Offering discounts or deals is a great way to attract new customers and can be an effective marketing strategy.
Plus, the deals will be a great way to boost your bottom line, as you are either giving away free products or selling at a discounted price.
Remember rewards programs! If you offer periodic rewards points and coupons, not only will it incentivize shoppers, but it also helps create brand loyalty! But, again, thinking outside the box and developing creative ways beyond traditional advertising tactics such as media commercials, print ads, and radio spots are essential.
With that in mind, you can apply the following packaging insert ideas:
- Offer a free product with the purchase of another item
- BOGO (buy one get one)
- Buy two, get one free
- Buy one get one 50% off
- Offers for the whole family.
This idea is best used when you have more than one type of product because it gives consumers a choice on what they want to buy.
The more choices, the more likely they will buy something from you!
2. A Request Note for “Share on Social Media”
Today no product can propagate without the social media advertisement and sharing.
All the famous companies have their accounts and pages for that purpose. Whether you already have a business page or have a new product launch, this technique will hep you boost your business.
For that you can also add a personal note of social sharing request as an insertion the product packaging.
Whether the packaging is for soap or any edible item this technique will help you to the best results.
3. Insert Thank You Cards and Personal Notes
Thank you cards, and personal notes are a great way to show appreciation for your customers.
Try sending thank you cards or personal notes when they purchase, sign up for a subscription, refer someone else, or leave feedback about their experience.
This can be meaningful for your customer and help reinforce your bond.
It also sends a message that you care about the person on the other end of the transaction.
And what’s more, it’s inexpensive! You can also print out some stationery using word processing software if you don’t want to spend any money (but be warned: this option might take some time).
4. Add Referral Cards Inside Your Packaging
Referral cards are a great way to boost your business and engage with your customers.
These cards can be given out for free or offered at a discount with the understanding that customers will pass them along when they need a product or service.
It might seem an added expense, but it is worth the investment.
For example, if you were running a bakery shop, you could offer these cards as an incentive to get your customer to refer someone who needs pizza.
5. Add a Personalized Message
This insert will do the trick if you try to stand out from competitors.
You can customize this insert with your company’s name, logo, and slogan.
Plus, it will give customers an inside look at your company culture.
You can do it by letting them know that each product was made by hand and with love.
This insert is an excellent way of giving customers peace of mind.
They can use them when ordering products online. That way, they can be assured that their items were created with care and attention to ensure satisfaction.
In the same way, you can ask for a review. It can be about any of your existing products or an upcoming one.
6. Tips and Tricks Guide
A tips and tricks guide is like a helpful manual that teaches your customers how to use your products better.
It can include useful tips on using the product effectively and how to dispose of it in an environmentally friendly way.
Curology does an excellent job of giving tips and tricks guides with every shipment.
These guides show you how to apply Curology products correctly and what to do if you experience any unwanted reactions.
When you’re making your tips and tricks guide, keep these things in mind:
- Make your tips and instructions easy to understand and friendly.
- Choose a guide style that matches your brand. For example, if your product is a electronic device, your guide could include safety tips for your customers.
- Think about the kind of paper and finish you want to use. Whether it’s a rustic kraft paper, matte card stock, or lamination, make sure it fits well with your brand.
7. Product Samples
Including samples in your packages can enhance the unboxing experience and offer additional value for a few reasons.
Firstly, depending on the products you sell, you might be able to get samples from your suppliers without any extra cost.
Secondly, these product samples provide a great opportunity to introduce your customers to new products and product lines that they might not be aware of or have considered trying before.
If you have a variety of products, it’s a good idea to include free samples in your packages.
This allows customers to try out your other products too.
Moreover, this practice often leads to positive word-of-mouth referrals for your company.
Many customers tend to share the samples with their friends and family, which helps spread the word about your products.
8. Small Gifts
Including small gifts in your packaging is a wonderful idea to make your customers feel special.
These gifts are tiny surprises that come with their purchase.
It could be a cute keychain, a colorful bracelet, or a small sample of another product.
These little extras show your appreciation and make the unboxing experience even more enjoyable.
They add a touch of happiness and make customers feel like they’ve received something extra special.
Small gifts are a delightful way to go above and beyond for your customers.
9. Handmade Crafts
Handmade crafts are unique and special items that are made with care and creativity.
When you include handmade crafts in your packaging, it adds a personal touch.
These crafts can be small trinkets, like a handcrafted keychain or a mini figurine, that match the theme or style of your product.
They make your packaging more memorable and show that you put thought and effort into making the customer’s experience extra special.
Handmade crafts are charming additions that make your brand stand out and leave a lasting impression.
10. Stickers or Decals
Stickers or decals are fun and colorful additions that can make your packaging more exciting.
These are adhesive designs that you can stick on various surfaces, like notebooks, laptops, or even water bottles.
When you include stickers or decals in your packaging, it gives customers a little something extra to enjoy.
They can decorate their belongings with these stickers, showing off their support for your brand.
Stickers and decals come in various shapes, sizes, and designs, so you can choose ones that reflect your brand’s personality.
It’s a simple and playful way to make your packaging experience more enjoyable for customers.
Why Packaging Inserts Are Incredibly Useful?
Packaging inserts have become essential tools in the world of e-commerce, offering numerous advantages for both businesses and customers.
These small additions, placed within shipping boxes, have become a strategic asset for enhancing customer satisfaction, boosting sales, and streamlining shipping processes.
Here are the top reasons why packaging inserts are extremely useful:
- Enhanced Customer Experience: Packaging inserts allow businesses to go the extra mile in delighting their customers. Personalized thank-you notes, discount codes, or informative brochures can elevate the unboxing experience and leave a lasting impression.
- Promotion and Cross-selling: Inserts are a valuable channel for promoting new products, ongoing campaigns, or cross-selling complementary items. They capitalize on the moment when customers are most engaged—while unpacking their purchase.
- Brand Reinforcement: Inserts reinforce brand identity and messaging. Consistent branding across inserts and packaging materials fosters brand recognition and trust among customers.
- Valuable Information: In the case of fragile items, inserts can provide care instructions or handling tips. This not only helps in reducing returns but also enhances the overall customer experience.
- Cost-Efficiency: Packaging inserts are a cost-effective marketing tool. They require minimal investment compared to other advertising methods and can yield substantial returns in terms of increased sales and customer loyalty.
- Customer Retention: Thoughtful inserts can encourage customers to return for repeat purchases. Exclusive offers or loyalty program information can be included to incentivize future shopping.
- Reduced Shipping Errors: Inserts can include clear instructions for customers to check the contents of their package upon receipt. This proactive approach can help reduce shipping errors and customer dissatisfaction.
Since 2015, I have been providing packaging expertise and coordination with product line directors, research and development departments, and production facilities.